Monday, February 8, 2010

Bergs (Minimodels) Sydney Electric Cars - Couplers

Problem: The supplied E-Z plastic knuckle couplers are bogie mounted and have no sideways movement, so they won't uncouple with a magnetic uncoupler ramp. Also, they look toylike and create a large gap between the cars when coupled.

Solution: Fit body mounted couplers. Fortunately, the supplied couplers are easily unclipped from the bogies without damage to either. I used Kadee 30 series coupler boxes combined with "scale" size couplers from Kadee No. 58 couplers. The 30 series coupler boxes have less projection behind the mounting hole, so they don't interfere with the rotation of the bogies. I drilled (1.8 mm) and tapped a 2-56 mounting hole 10 mm back from the buffing plate on the end of the chassis. This results in close coupling with around 3 mm between the buffing plates. The chassis needs to be packed down to get the correct coupler height. Bergs supply a mounting adaptor (Spare Part No. 103) to suit, and I purchased 4 pairs of these with the cars. Based on my preferred mounting bolt position, I had to drill the Bergs adaptors about 1 mm further back from the moulded "dimple". I drilled the clearance holes (2.3 mm) from the top to avoid being guided by the dimple. With the Bergs adaptors, mounting the spring assembly of the 30 series coupler boxes on the bottom results in the correct coupler height.

Curve Radius: With body mounted couplers as described above, my cars run happily through my sharpest mainline curves which are 700 mm radius. I also tested them on a shaper curve of 550 mm radius and the were OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment