Friday, February 12, 2010

Bergs (Minimodels) Sydney Electric Cars - Weight

I have added lead weight to the 3 non-powered cars in the set. I added approx. 56 g of lead sheet which brings the total weight up to approx. 140 g per car. There is a rectangular recess on the top of the underframe, about 3 mm deep, which is part of the motor mounting in the powered car. I cut 2 thicknesses of lead sheet approx 1.3 mm thick to fit in the recess, and secured them in place with a single screw through an existing hole in the centre of the recess.

While the cars did not derail prior to adding the weight, I feel more confident now when running the set with the powered car pushing from the rear.

Another reason for adding weight is that I fitted small resistors to the wheelsets of the end bogie of the non-powered end car (Cxxxx) so that this car will actuate the track occupancy detectors which are part of my signalling system. Eventually, I will add resistors to the end wheelsets of each of the centre cars (Txxxx) as well so that the entire train is detected. The extra weight will make the detection of the non-power cars work reliably.


No comments:

Post a Comment